Cheap, Wideband receivers in a USB Dongle!
MakeItZone has the following kit:
- NoElec SmartTee SDR
- NoElec 9-1 Balun
- NoElec Ham-It-Up upconverter (to be able to listen to MW and SW)
- NoElec LANA wideband, low noise, RF amplifier
- random length of wire antenna
Goal is to have it setup with a Raspberry Pi for remote access.
General Receiving Software
- AirSpy SDR#
- may default to a frequency out of the RTL-SDR dongle’s range. Try setting to 100MHz and restarting…
- FM stereo broadcast sounds mono: look for an enabled bandpass filter and disable it
- SDR Radio.com
ADS-B Aircraft Tracking
AIS Ship Tracking
In a nutshell: picking up RF interference/noise/leaks to reveal information assumed to be private.
See the contents of a monitor connected to another computer!
Seems to only work with DVI cables (with the super low cost RTL-SDR receivers.)
- may have to unzip the self-executing app to use a different JVM
- unzip to replace the
EXTIOsource plugin- need a different
DLLto work with RTL-SDR devices
EXTIOplugin for RTL-SDR based dongles can be found here
- RTL SDR- the site for articles, references, and howtos
- Than BalUn and UnUn
- A Ham’s Guide to RFI, Ferrites, Baluns, and Audio Interfacing
- Best length for random wire antennas
- thread about ground planes