Pure Data (PD)
PD (Pure Data) is a visual flow based programming environment for real-time manipulation and creation of sound. There are extensions for generating 3D visuals. Similar to the commercial MAX product from Cycling76.
Users probably want to download Purr Data (Pd-L2ork)- a variant with a newer UI and more extensions included by default.
- karmaSoundAnalyser - advanced onset and beat detection.
- ANTPB Blog post documenting the integration of PD into Unity for AR/VR
- Autotalent- similar to the (in)famous Autotune, but open source
- “…E.A.R, the free open source solution to render auditory walkthroughs and static impressions of buildings and other three-dimensional scenes…”
- i-Simpa - An Open Source software for 3D sound propagation modelling
- Captain Plugins has a great wiki on both how to do things in specific DAWs as well as music theory.
Digtal Audio Workstations (DAWs)
Virtual audio control rooms.
They generally have three key parts:
- Digital instruments. Usually recorded/generated MIDI sequences played by selectable software synthesizers.
- Sample based channels. E.g. recorded vocals, live instruments.
- Audio buses. Virtual cables and audio mixers for directing the flow of audio from input channels to outputs.
Typically filters and effects can be applied to each of these parts.