- Differences between Education and Retail Mindstorms sets
- EV3 Kit inventories
- Lego Education Academy- Now free. Video tutorials from expert Lego instructors covering from unboxing, to computer setup, to first models.
Online Courses and Curriculum
- Lego Mindstorms Curriculum- created by Lego themselves. Now Free!
- Damien Kee’s List
- Damien Kee’s comparison of Lego vs EV3 - very useful, and practical comparison
- Educational Robots for Absolute Beginners – EV3 Edition
- STEMRobotics - lots of information, but seems to be links out to other resources. Written in school system curriculum description/language.
- Lego Engineering - courses are listed on the getting started page.
- Geek Mom’s Lego NXT Curriculum - great set of notes for an after school program.
- STEMcentric EV3 tutorial
Lego Mindstorms Programming
- EV3 firmware now supports programming in Python!
- MakeCode now supports EV3
- https://www.ev3dev.org - debian linux for EV3! Boots from SD card, so doesn’t replace firmware.
- [https://www.aposteriori.com.sg/Ev3devSim/index.html] - simulator for ev3dev Python coded robots
Design your Lego creations on a computer and have it generate the instructions!
- LDraw- open standard for Lego CAD
- ML Cad- popular front end for LDraw. Might work on Mac/Linux via Wine
eg as used in FLL, Skills Canada, and other programmes.
Available online from several vendors; usually made from vinyl.
Vinyl mats are expensive- $300-$500+(!)
But it turns out printing on vinyl is expensive, especially as it seems 44" is a standard material width… the mats are wider, and thus specialty items to print.
Here are some rough cost estimates (from Sure Copy Courtenay) for a 45x93" print:
- $480 for full color vinyl
- As two 24"x93" full color prints on 8mil PolyPro plastic: $300
- on 42" wide full color paper: $160
- as mostly line art with light shading on an engineering black and white paper printer, 2x 24" strips: ~$16-32 (it’s $0.50/sq ft for line art/lightly shaded; $1/sq ft if it uses a lot of toner.
- lamination is extra; they have a 27" laminator right now, soon to have a >44" one soon
If you’re a school or community organization, Sure Copy may be willing to give a discount.