Infinity Mirrors and Polyhedra

Infinity Mirrors and Polyhedra

This is a wiki page. Any registered user can edit it. It’s used to document the project as it develops. Discussion can be added as comments below.

Group Inventory

Quantity Item Who has it Is it Spare/Available for others?

Tools Needed

• squeegees
  • soapy water spray
  • Xacto knives

Build Notes

just thought this was neat, and worth a look: https://www.tripzilla.com/yayoi-kusama-infinity-mirror-rooms/97830

Very cool. Could definitely be added to a cube or similar- floating things…or some sides that are full mirrors. Lots of possibilities!

Also note that it’s going to have to be the 8th; I forgot the VEX robotics tournament got postponed to the 1st.

Ahh, good, I changed the date in my phone so I will remember.

Hiya!
I’m hoping to make it for this… I’ve been plotting an infinity mirror for a while… One idea I have and need to try out is the effect of having 1 or both sides convex, or 1 concaved and 1 convexed… Or 1 C and 2nd flat… The plan is to use old skylights…love to know if anyone has tried this or similar, and their results?
Sharing a Smile, me.

1 Like

Hi @Naydeeah_Thalassa!

That sounds really interesting. I have some semi-reflective “security film”, but I think that will be really hard to put on a curved surface. Maybe a thin coat of “mirror paint”??? Quick googling, and the Krylon one seems to get be better rated than the Rustoleum one.

Another idea: flat circle of acrylic, over a round “O” spacer, to a thicker back. Small hole in middle of both, and then some fishing line between them. Might be able to pull in the top flat sheet enough to curve it. Or a small rod to push it out.

My gut feeling (without trying to draw ray diagrams) is that a concave side will make the LEDs look to be outside the mirror, but you’ll only get less reflections. Convex will make them go to the centre.

Will be a really fun experiment to see what happens!

I have been collecting the parts i thought could work, so i too have the reflective film, mind you my experience in application of such things is limited but, had thought as the skylight’s curve goes, two sets of hands would be best to limit mishaps. I have some random "mirror’ spray paint (random as in i bought on extreme discount, figuring id have a project, eventually, to use it on… so the brand escapes me at the moment) but, it’s directions suggest (possibly) 3 coats… which i am not confident the can (smaller than regular spray paint) would be enough to cover the entire skylight piece x3.

“> Another idea: flat circle of acrylic, over a round “O” spacer, to a thicker back. Small hole in middle of both, and then some fishing line between them. Might be able to pull in the top flat sheet enough to curve it. Or a small rod to push it out.”
sometimes words don’t paint a picture for me… so i’m not sure what your seeing here… but i want to!

The skylights are plexy, with 2 panes being concave (sitting about an inch apart, in the deepest portions, and separated to start) and originally i wanted to see if i could have the space between the two panes housing water with a punctured tube through it pushing air, to create bubbles…then with the front pane having the mirror film, I could add a flat mirror behind the 2 panes to create a “bubbling infinity mirror”… buuut, in testing, the back pane was considerably thinner/flexible, and after letting it sit a third full with h2o, the pressure eventually broke the back pane. thoughts on this are to use two front panes, which are thicker and will be tougher while decreasing the space between panes = less water = less pressure (waterproof sealing between panes, lumber frame that can be tightened if needed, available port to fill and empty water to allow for it to travel to here and there with minimal weight((port may actually compromise the strength??)))

I feel the same, convex will push the image to the center… but by how much? and what about the bubbles?..lol… must try and see! I also have a flat glass (2 pane) skylight… so if the curves cause too much distortion, and/or plexy isnt tough enough to hold the water, i’ll have to adapt with the tougher flat version.

I also picked up a long, maybe 3.5-4.5" wide piece of plexy from my favorite store, the restore, to see about test runs on the effects of convex/concave front portion of an infinity mirror… so that’s another thing to play with, lol.

anywho, best i make it out, and chatting with hand jesters can happen for ease in understanding, lol.

1 Like

Quick update: will pickup a sheet of 3mm acrylic from Industrial Plastic and Paint. Will sell pieces at cost.

I looked into mirror acrylic, and that’s too expensive to buy to have as stock (~$350/sheet.) But if people are interested in this for the next session we can arrange a group buy. Having some on hand would be useful (but not a whole sheet😉)